Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My #1

This post is in reference to my #1...my #1 child who is #1 to me in many, many ways.

Sometimes I know I might sound like a broken record, but he's such a special little man.

He's so very kind;
and caring;
and sweet;
and friendly;
and loving;
and smart;
and athletic;

just a good, good soul...

But one new thing I did learn today is...

intelligent + caring + kind+ athletic + loving + friendly + sweet =

CITIZEN OF THE YEAR!!!!

He walked into class this morning and noticed a piece of blank paper sitting on his desk. As he approached his desk to sit down, he flipped the paper over and it was the teachers note letting him know that she had chosen him as her "Citizen of the Year." Jacob's only response, spoken quietly to himself, was "YES!" And, the quiet, shy and humble boy never said a word...he just simply stuffed the paper away in his backpack.

However, it was very clear to see that he was also very proud. As I picked the kids up from school today, Jacob jumped in the car with a smile from ear to ear and said, "I have some very good news." As he told me the wonderful news and we discussed his nomination, he kept saying, "are you happy, Mommy?" And I'm thinking to myself, little guy...you just have no idea how proud I really am! As I tried to keep the tears from rolling out from under my sunglasses, I told my son...over and over....how SO very proud I am of him and the many, many reasons why.

I didn't hear a peep from the other little backseat rider most of the way home. I think she was taking it all in and listening to the conversation Jacob and I were having. As we pull into the driveway, she finally says, "Mommy, are you proud of me?" Yes, little girl.....I'm very proud of you, too! She also made a point to tell me that her teacher has yet to appoint their Citizen of the Year, and I could just hear that little glimmer of hope in her voice that maybe, just maybe it will be her. Although I think they will be some hard shoes to follow, I think she is determined to do everything she can do follow her brother's footsteps, and I have no doubts she can do it!

4 comments:

Tonya Hefley said...

Wow Way to go! Once again this like everything else deserves a special gift. Gosh between all these A, ciziten of the month, birthdays and Christmas I'm broke!

Tonya Hefley said...

To put something in words. It is pretty darn easy to see how good of a kid Jacob is. Sometimes you wonder about people, but him it is pretty simple.

and caring;
and sweet;
and friendly;
and loving;
and smart;
and athletic;

You hit it dead on. Don't forget Funny!

I love those kids! Jake and Ell

Julie said...

Oh yeah, forgot that one. I'll need to add that one on there.

essie said...

what a wonderful mother's day gift!

honey bear, we are VERY proud of you!! what a fantastic way to end elementary school!!!

honey girl, you've already proven that you are more than the citizen of the year-you are the brafvest person we know!!

we love you all, and jules, you hit the nail on the head in your description of your son...
beautiful!
xoxoxoxooxoxoxox