We have one that had an exciting and fabulous day, and another one who wasn't really all that thrilled.
So, we'll start with Ellie. She jumped in the car smiling, talking a mile a minute about the things they already worked on, pictures she colored, two good stamps that she got, books her teacher read, friends she got to see, etc... Plus, she seems to love her teacher, so her move into 2nd grade started off with a bang. Plus, her sugars were really well all day long, so hopefully that is a sign of what the future days will bring.
Number 1...not a very happy camper when he strolled through the door at 5:05-5:10.
He's not so happy about being in honor/advance classes because he doesn't have many friends in his classes, he's in advanced Alegbra with a bunch of 8th graders and feels like a nerd (getting high school credits I might add), his Science teacher is bi-polar (exact words from Jacob) who arrived at school after his morning surf wearing Reef flip flops (not a very good example in my opinion considering the kids can't even wear anything like that, yet I didn't get very good vibes from him at the orientation either) and he got yelled at by a teacher because he was trying to chat with a friend in between classes and wasn't with his "Osprey" team. However, he told me he was walking from his elective Spanish class back to his regular building, so it's not like he was with his team at that time anyways. In any event, not a very happy start for him. I'm trying to keep him positive, so I can only hope tomorrow goes a tad better.
On the other hand, with the exception of "hang ten" boy, he did seem to like most of his teachers. He loves his science teacher who said to him, "Jacob, Jacob, Jacob....I've been seeing your name all over t-shirts these days...can I call you wolf boy?" In this class, I guess they all had to talk about something they like and something they dislike, so it was funny listening to Jacob tell the story about the teacher's likes/disklikes. Jacob apparently talked about his dislike for cooked carrots and his like, or love, for football.
These next few years are going to be tough from a social standpoint. I keep telling him to just be himself and he'll have no problem making new friends. He's such a likable person and just because he's in honors classes by no means makes him a "nerd." He's simply intelligent with a good heart, lots of athletic ability and just a kind, sweet soul to everyone he knows. I know he'll be just fine...he just needs to give himself a few days to adjust and make new friends.
Well, that's it for now. I guess I better go make some lunches, sign off on some paperwork and jump in bed. It's been a long, busy day....
XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment