Friday, September 11, 2009

The things kids say - Part 3

I wonder how many posts will actually have that title...I'm at 3 now. I’m almost too embarrassed to post this, but on the other hand, it gave me a good chuckle, so I’ll reluctantly share.

Last night Ellie and I were giving my room a good fall clean..scrubbing the baseboards, moving some furniture around, wiping down the walls, etc... It seems I have this recent "nesting" urge (no, I’m not pregnant) to go through every room in the house and just give it a good cleaning from one side of the room to the other. I sooo wished I was a stay-at-home Mom to get this all done, because with my current schedule it will likely take months to do and by the time I finish the last room I'm sure the first room will need it again, but we won’t go there...that’s getting away from my point and that's a whole different story.

So back to the story... Ellie found Jacob’s tooth that fell out months ago still sitting on top of my jewelry box...just sitting there...waiting to be stuffed away under that comfy pillow to be "cashed in." Although Jacob still won’t come out and say it (although I’m anxiously awaiting this talk about all the holiday fairies), I, unfortunately, believe he’s at that point where he no longer believes in the "generous" tooth-fairy...he just doesn't want to tell Mommy and Daddy yet.

Since Bubbe clearly had no interest in cashing in that tooth, Ellie asked if she could put the tooth under her pillow and collect the money, so I said, "I don't see why not." So she put the tooth in a baggy and wrote the following note to the tooth fairy:

"My Brother did not want this tooth so i took it."

and drew this cute picture:



The rest of the night that’s all she talked about. I don’t know why she was soooo excited...perhaps the anticipation of receiving money for a tooth that wasn’t even hers. On the flip side, she was also a little scared. She didn’t want to be left alone as she anxiously wondered when that "beautiful" fairy was going to arrive. Todd couldn’t keep her out of our room. He came in there several times between 8:30-11:30 shooing Ellie off to her own bed. After a little crying and moaning, she would go back, but she would eventually land back in my bed and quickly fall right back to sleep. Todd was finally ready to hit the sack when he arrived in our room again and whala...there was Ellie again. At this point, he was getting a little frustrated, so he mumbled something under his breath and walked out of the room. I could hear him in there fumbling around in the coin drawer, grabbing the notes from under Ellie’s pillow and stuffing them away. A few minutes later he came back into the room and this is how the conversation went:

Daddy: "Ellie, you can go back to your room now. The tooth-fairy came...she must of came while I was in the bathroom."

Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, Ellie says, "Really?"

D: "Yep, go look."

It was almost like Christmas morning...Ellie quickly jumped out of bed and ran into her room excited to see what the tooth-fairy left her. Then, this is what I heard next....the embarrassing part of this blog:

E: "$2.00? Way to dig deep tooth-fairy!"

I kid you not. I couldn’t believe that came out of my 6 year old daughter. Although a little thrown back by the selfish comment, I just chuckled and knew it would only be seconds before Todd peeked around the corner and said "did you hear that?" Yes, I did...SPOILED...that’s about all I can say!

No comments: