Here are a few messages that I received from Todd today...can you guess where he's at?
Todd: Crying. Want to come take him?
Me: He's going to cry whether it's me or u. He's been thru it before...just tell him to relax.
A few minutes later...
Me: Has he relaxed?
T: Ya right!! Panic mode.
T: This is going to be fun.
T: Still crying.
A few more minutes go by...
Me: Is he calmer?
T: No!! Can't talk now.
T: Embarrassing!
Me: They probably deal with that a lot.
T: I'm not bringing him again!
T: He has to come back to fill the last 2.
T: I'm not coming back with him.
T: Acting like heart surgery.
Yep, that would be the conversation between Todd and I while child #1 is at the dentist. He can be such a calm, cool and laid-back kid, but mention the word "doctor" or "dentist" and he goes into full on panic mode. I purposely didn't tell him about the appointment ahead of time because I didn't want him to panic about it for the next few days, but maybe I need to rethink that stragedy.
After we came home from his game last night, I simply said, "Jacob, do you have any tests tomorrow?" With that one simple question, I got the dear-in -the-headlight look and he immediately knew where that conversation was headed. Needless to say, he went to bed in tears and woke up tears.
I just don't know what else to do to calm this kid down in situtations like this, so any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Now he gets to go back next week and I get the pleasure of experiencing round 2. Lord help me...
Thankfully, Todd said the dentist was extremely calm and very patient. And, if there is anything good that has come out of this ordeal, perhaps my #1 kid has learned how important it is to brush his teeth every morning and every night.
On a side note, little E had zero...yes, zero...cavities. Go, E!
No comments:
Post a Comment