Thursday, February 4, 2010

2/01/2010

So, that was an important day to our family and shame on me for letting it fly by unnoticed, even if we only missed it by a day. I had thought about it the week before and kept thinking...what special thing could I do? I had good intentions, but in this hectic Harrison life, it flew right by me. Yes, 02/01/09 was when Ellie was initially diagnosed with diabetes, so 2/1/10 was her one year anniversary and she kindly reminded me of that on 2/2/10. "Mommy, isn’t this when I first got diabetes?" She knew because we had talked about it a few days before, but I had to look it up on the internet and confirm that 2/1/09 was indeed the day the SuperBowl was held and that is a day that I will NEVER forget.

So, we chatted about the last year and what we were doing at that same time one year ago...

M: "Ellie, at this time last year we were in PSL Hospital just learning what was making you so sick."

E: "Yeah, Mommy, I had tubes hanging out of my arms and I was scared."

Thinking back, I could only imagine how scared that precious girl really was, but boy was she full of surprises. To this day, she continues to amaze me with her resilience and how she’s taken this hard life change all in stride. I don’t know that I, as an adult, could of handled it any better. Without even knowing it, I think she's taught us all a few life lessons.

Even though it’s been a very challenging year, I am very proud of my little girl and how she has stood so strong and brave and has continued to fight this disease day by day, with very few complaints. Not only does she have to face the everyday challenges of managing her disease, but she also has to deal with the lack of awareness from the general public. I have heard numerous stories how she goes to the clinic at school to check her sugar and the kids sit and stare at her, or say, "what are you doing?" I know they are just curious little kids, but I’m sure it gets old.

There are times when I still get mad or upset, especially if I feel like I’m failing her if I can’t get her sugars at a level I’m happy with, but I have to remind myself that diabetes is not our whole life. It is never easy and we all feel a range of emotions, but that is normal and those emotions will pass and change with time.

Biomedical research has cured many diseases and has helped many diseases become survivable, so we, as a family, will do whatever it takes to make sure diabetes is the next disease on that "cured" list. With that being said, please support us and join us in our walk, or make a small donation in support of "Ellie’s Team." For those of you who have already donated, some we have never even met, THANK YOU! Every little cent counts and we couldn't do it without you.

Lastly, Ellie, as I’ve told you over and over, Mommy and Daddy are soooo proud of you. You are such a beautiful, smart, funny and kind, precious little girl, but most of all, so VERY brave, courageous, strong and tough as beans. Mommy and Daddy will always, without a shadow of a doubt, be there for you and stand by you every step of the way.

GO TEAM ELLIE!



XOXO,
Mommy & Daddy

No comments: