"come on, show 'em what your worth."
As most of you know, Jacob decided to give it a shot and try-out for his middle school basketball team. He was excited, yet scared and nervous, since he has never really played "organized" basketball before. As I've always told my kids, I had to remind him again...just go out and give it your all - that's all I can ask for and the best you can do.
As I picked him up after the first night of practice, he hopped in the car and said, "that coach is mean." Almost immediately his eyes started welling up with tears and my initial thought was, "oh boy...is he ready for this let down?" Jacob went on to tell me how the coach told the boys after practice that this is the first time since 1993 that he's ever seen a group of boys that can't play basketball. And, as we all would expect from Jacob, he took this right to heart. I asked Jacob how he thought he did and he said, "I thought I did pretty good." Me: "Well, son, that's all that matters." You could tell that he was still pretty disappointed, but I just continued to encourage him, besides....this is, afterall, the first time he's ever tried out for basketball. I told him to give his self a chance, let the coach give him some pointers and teach him a few things and I'll sure it won't be long before he shines....kind of a like a firework.
The next day he came home from school with a grin from ear to ear. I guess he passed the coach in the hallway and the coach said, "boy, you've got game." That's all it took...those few, simple words from the big man and Jacob had a completely different outlook and attitude on the start of his basketball pastime. He was now ready to move forward full speed with his mind focused on the work ahead.
The next morning he went to practice from 7:30-8:45 and again immediately after school from 4:15-5:30. And guess what?? On Friday afternoon he learned that he made the "A" team. They have an "A", "B" and "C" team, but the "A" team is I guess what they would consider the "varsity" team that consists of the top 12 kids. He's super excited and I'm super excited for him.
No, he may not be a starter...initially...but he is prepared for that. I told him to continue to go out there and give it his all, practice with all his heart and I bet it won't be long before he's at the top of his game and fighting for that starter position with the rest of the boys.
Katy Perry's "Firework" song is one of my new favorites and now everytime I hear it it makes me think of Jacob and his newfound journey...
"You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July."
"Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show'em what your worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y"
"Baby you're a firework
Come on let your colors burst.
Make 'em go "oh, oh, oh!"
You're gunna leave 'em fallin' down-own-own."
"Boom, boom, boom
even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
It's always been inside of you, you, you
And now it's time to let it through."
For those who may not know what song I'm referring to, take a listen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw
Jacob...go out and show them what you got, big guy! I know you can do it!
I guess I officially have yet a new team to cheer for...Go Hawks!
Happy New Year!
xoxo
1 comment:
All that know Jacob, knows he will do it in the end and give his best, just needs lots of encoragement and a push to get him going.....
Post a Comment