Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kindness, generosity, compassion...

and thoughtfulness...simple words, but with HUGE meaning.

It brings happiness to my heart to learn of someone that is not affected by diabetes in any way, shape or form, but yet they take the time to join a JDRF team and volunteer their time simply out of the goodness in their heart. I just got an email at work that brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart.

The company Angie works for, FIS, has decided to join the nationwide effort, form several teams and take part in the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes in Orlando, FL. Their walk takes place on March 5, 2011 and they have a goal of raising $10,000 for juvenile diabetes.

Angie sent an email to her team thanking them for taking part in this cause and briefly telling why she, too, finds it special to her heart. She challenged all of her co-workers to make a donation, and for every donation they made to their team, she would donate an additional $5.00.

This is the email she got back from one of her co-workers:

Angela,

I'm so happy that my participating in this walk is actually helping a family member of someone I know! I wanted to volunteer because I knew it was a worthy cause, but having the personal touch makes it all the more important. I hope the money my team raises will help toward a cure someday.

This may sound hokey, but do you think we could get Ellie to write her name on a piece of ribbon, which I can pin to my shirt when I do the walk? I'd like to do it in her honor.

Marni C.
FIS KMS Administrator

Her gift of time is so priceless and her small act of kindness is worth more to us than she will probably ever know. Thank you, Marni! We would be honored to have you walk on behalf of our daughter. Although I'm always touched by every family member or every friend that we are fortunate enough to have that supports our family, my daughter or our team, your act of kindness really touched my heart today. It's people like you, untouched by the disease, yet still supporting and donating to the cause, who make an unspoken difference in my daughter's life.

"Volunteers don't necessarily have the time, but they have the heart."

xoxo

1 comment:

Mamaw said...

WOW, THIS IS WONDERFUL.!!!