Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kind of a scary start to Spring Break...

but it got better.

We had a dramatic evening on White Oak Lane last night and as a result of same, this was the sleeping arrangements at my house...



I must of picked Ellie up and put her back in her own bed at least twice last night, to only feel her laying by my feet again an hour or two later. I finally gave up and just let her stay. A short time later, child #1 showed up at the side of our bed begging and pleading for a teeny, tiny space on the edge of the bed to lay down. Todd was calm at first...

Daddy: "Jacob, there is no room, but you can grab a pillow and sleep on the floor."

Jacob: "Daddy, please...I’m scared. I only need a little space to sleep on."

This conversation went on for a few minutes. Todd wasn’t giving in (because there simply was no room) and Jacob wasn’t giving up, so eventually Todd got a little frustrated. After a few more exchanges, I heard...

Daddy: "Jacob, grow up!"

Jacob: "Daddy, I will....tomorrow," said with such innocence and sweetness in his voice.

I know he’s going to be 12, but the Mommy in me just wouldn’t let his aching heart suffer any longer, so I got up and let the 2 little ones sleep with their Daddy so they could receive the comfort they were so desperately seeking....and then I curled up in Ellie’s bed.

Earlier that evening, the kids were outside playing with their friends as they enjoyed the wonderful spring weather and the start of Spring Break. I had just plopped down on the couch to watch Dancing with the Stars when Ellie came running into the house saying, "Mommy, I think Michelle is having a seizure." I jumped up and ran outside, as J & E bolted by me and headed in the opposite direction straight for Jacob’s room...where they nervously remained until we had the chance to come back and talk to them. Thankfully Todd was already outside and by Michelle’s side (doing what he does best) when I got there. It was a pretty scary moment for me, so I could only imagine what my sensitive kids were thinking and feeling when they saw their friend jump roping one second and then fall head first on the concrete and suffer an epileptic seizure the next. We just sat by her side and waited for the ambulance to arrive.

However, on a brighter note, it all turned out okay and I am happy to report that Michelle is home and doing just fine, which I think helped my kids feel at ease again.

One thing I can say that I’ve learned about myself - I actually can remain pretty calm in a stressful situation like that...which is something I wasn’t always sure about. I will admit that the calmness Todd brought to the situation helped me remain calm as well.

Whew, what a start to the week. Please...no more nights like that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

holy smoke.
that is NOT the way to start a week off-
i'm glad everyone is alright; i saw the beginning of your post late last night and got worried!
for the record...all three harrisons in our house still climb in bed with us!

love you sweetie!
and preston is signed in, which is why this comment isn't coming up as me!
that BOY!!